Wednesday, March 30, 2016 / by Jason Huerkamp
Selling Your Home in The Spring/Summer - Here is your outdoor checklist!
After the winter our homes and gardens have taken some battering and it will be a good idea to take a long hard look at the outside of the property and get the repairs done before you get your home onto the market. Here is a checklist to help you manage the maintenance.
- Take a look at the grass and rake out the really wet areas exposing the lawn to dry out and give it a chance to regenerate.
- broken branches, leaves and general garden debris needs to be cleaned up and chipped/mulched into the compost heap for the growing season
- Trim back the dead wood ready for the spring growth, but beware that it's not done too early as a further cold spell could still arrive
- Check the outdoor electrics and make sure that everything is functioning as it should be
- Replace fused light bulbs
- Check the front door bell to see that it still works
Wooden Decks and Fences
- If there has been any damage to fencing, then it's time to repair and refresh
- Wooden decks need to be powerwashed
- The decks may need tightening and repairing
- If the deck needs a new protection coat, then look for a good few days of sunshine to apply the varnish
- Check the letter box and be sure its still sturdy and neat
Patio's and Front Door
- The front door needs to be welcoming. Paint the door and freshen the area.
- Add planters to the patio to cheer up the area
- The welcome mat needs to clean and free of mud
- Add new garden cushions to the rocking chairs or swing chairs
- Check that the patio pavers are even and fixed, not loose and uneven
- Walkways need to be neat and finished, add more stones if need be and ensure the trim looks good
- Make sure the light fittings are dust free and clean
Windows and Shutters
- Dust off the shutters and if they need painting then get that done
- Windows need to be clean and washed
- Add window boxes to the front windows if the front of the home is very plain
Gas Grill and Fire Pit
- Have the Gas Grill serviced and clean up the equipment ready for the summer
- The Fire Pit may be in need of some maintenance
- Add some wood to the fire pit to "paint the picture" of wonderful evenings spent around the fire pit
Roof and Chimney
- A roof and chimney inspection is a must before the next winter season and maybe it's a good idea to have them both checked early in the season.
- Inspect the foundations for any cracks or movement and get the repairs done straight away if needed
This comprehensive list will help you make sure that the outdoor areas are well maintained and look fantastic. When your home is ready to go onto the market your home will be well presented and welcoming.
Partner with us today to get your home sold