Monday, June 20, 2016 / by Jason Huerkamp
Firstly clear out that space - throw out the things you do not love anymore. Put items away that do not belong in that space and then decide what would make it better! Move you own furniture around, play with the space. What do you want to do with that space? Do you want a reading area, a private sitting space, a lovely family space. What makes you feel happy? Does the space need a coat of paint, a new rug perhaps? Sort that basic out first and then lets look at some ideas that make you love it again!
- Add a bookshelf - put your favorite books and ornaments on there and that will make it feel better already!
- Paint a strip of wall a different color and use your imagination to enhance the feel.
- Put a pot plant in the area. A living plant will bring life back to the area. do remember to check which plant will survive there, then give it the TLC it deserves. By visiting the plant on a regular basis, you are already making the space more functional. Choose a great pot or paint an existing one for it to stand in.
- Go out to garage sales and search for things you absolutely love, can you repurpose some items to make them work for you? Put your personality in it and add it to that space. Make the area adorable and love the space.
- Add some wall art, choose your loveliest art and frame it for the space and love it!
- Family | Friends pictures. Find photos or friends, family, pets you love and put them up on the wall. That way you will just love visiting that space and make your heart feel happy!
- Add new lighting - it can be under shelf lighting or a lamp or floor lamp shining up onto a pot plant in the area - make it beautiful!
- Buy a tree and put white fairy lights in it and use that all year round as a means of lighting your room. It will create such a romantic ambience that it will become the space you love the most.
- Add a mirror - it always makes dismal areas happy by reflecting light and other nice things!
- Don't forget you can hang things from the ceiling too - so maybe get down to World Market or similar and buy some hanging lamps/ or anterns to put into those dead areas to cheer them up!
- Take a standing bookshelf and lift it off the floor and have it fitted onto your wall. Put nice things in compartments and baskets for a great retro finish
- Need more storage for the stuff you need to keep, find an old fashioned suitcase or trunk and spray paint it and use it for storage and add it a little pizzaz to the area.
Whatever makes you feel better about the space will automatically bring new life to that area, so don't keep walking past the annoying area, make it a mission and get it done. You don't have to spend a lot of money doing it. Ask friends and family what they have that they do not want and have a good look and see what can make your space better.